Almond jelly is one of the few desserts my mother keeps asking me to make because it is extremely healthy with very little calories. Usually when we talk about healthy food, we immediately expect some sort of compromise on the taste. But let me assure you, this almond jelly tastes just as refreshing and appetizing as it appears to be! So abandon this stereotype of healthy food being something tasteless and boring and embrace this dessert!
This very local traditional delight endures over generations. Distinct from the rest, which are mostly rich, silky, dense and soup-based, almond jelly is light and refreshing. You can eat as much of it as you want and still feel completely guiltless and light as a feather! Alternatively, like a cherry on top of that huge spoon of cream on a typical American-sized ice-cream sundae, it is a perfect ending to a super heavy meal!
- 10g of arga-arga/ Chinese jelly 大菜
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 500ml water
- 125ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of almond essence
- a medium can of mixed cocktail fruits/ cocktail peaches
1. Cut the arga-arga into small shreds. Rinse and drain.
2. Slowly boil the arga-arga, water and sugar over small-medium fire. Mix the ingredients every now and then. When this is done, strain the arga-arga liquid and set aside to cool.
3. In your measuring cup, mix the milk and almond essence.
4. When the arga-arga liquid is slightly cooled down, pour in the milk mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour the mixture over a large, preferably square or rectangle-based pan and fridge it for at least 1 hour (3-4 hours for maximum results) and then cut the jelly into small cubes or diamond shapes.
6. Serve the almond jelly cold with cocktail fruits. Spoon over the almond jelly a few tablespoons of the cocktail fruit syrup for that extra bit of sweetness and smoothness.